Slow Cooker Vegetarian Chorizo with Apples & Fennel
This recipe is sooooooo goooooood! I got it from Foxes Love Lemons and did a super simple adaptation to make it vegetarian and incorporate a grain (grains are good guys, contrary to popular belief! ), cuz goddamn I love whole bowls.
If you aren't interested in a delicious vegetarian meal, I imagine the original with real chorizo is also great, just click here to get the original recipe :)
The leftovers from this are great to eat for lunch the next day, ooooor scoop some into your scramble, or put a fried egg on it and have it for breakfast- so good. So so good.
For this recipe, I used the soy chorizo from Trader Joe's- it's definitely got some kick to it, so those of you with super sensitive stomachs may want to opt to use another type of veg sausage- really anything will go with the sweetness of the apples and fennel, an italian style choice would be super delicious, just in a different way. :)
It's about 20 mins prep time, 20 mins to cook your quinoa, and 3-8 hours cook time.
Serves 4-6 (depending on how hungry you are)
You will need:
For the Slow Cooker Braised Sausage, Apples & Fennel:
3/4 to 1-1/2 pounds soy chorizo ( I just used one 12oz "link" from TJ's)
4 garlic cloves, roughly chopped
2 apples (I used Galas), cored and quartered
2 fennel bulbs, cored and quartered (Keep the stems and fronds for another recipe!)
1/2 large yellow onion, chopped
2/3 cup vegetable stock
3 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
1/2 teaspoon celtic sea salt
1/4 teaspoon fresh ground pepper
For the Apple & Watercress Salad:
2 tablespoons cider vinegar
1 teaspoon whole grain mustard
1/4 teaspoon celtic sea salt
Pinch of fresh ground pepper
1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
2 cups watercress
1 apple, cored and thinly sliced
1. Make the Slow Cooker Braised Sausage, Apples & Fennel: Add garlic, apples, fennel, onion, stock, vinegar, salt and pepper to bowl of 4- or 5-quart slow cooker. Cook covered on low 6 to 8 hours or on high 3 to 4 hours.
2. Make your dressing: In medium bowl, whisk together vinegar, mustard, salt and pepper. While whisking, slowly drizzle in oil until all oil is incorporated. Cover and leave on the counter for the day until you need it- don't store it in the fridge or it'll separate. You can also do this step later before serving, it's totally up to you!
3. In the last 1/2 hour of cook time, you'll add the soy chorizo to the slow cooker (be careful it's hot!) and make your quinoa. Make your quinoa on the stovetop by adding 1 part quinoa to 2 parts water. Bring to a boil and turn heat down to simmer for 10-20 mins until all the water is absorbed and your cute little quinoa grains have opened their husks.
4. Just before you slow cooker is finished cooking, make the Apple & Watercress Salad: Add watercress and apple to the bowl with the dressing, and toss until well combined.
5. Spoon your Chorizo with Apples & Fennel over your quinoa, add a bit of Apple & Watercress Salad over top, and serve immediately so the salad is crisp.
Voila! a delicious wholesome af vegetarian meal in a bowl. I love whole meals in one bowl, don't you? So much less clean up!