Ah fennel seed, my most trusted and favorite of after-dinner "mints".
There is a reason why a bowl of fennel seed and sugar is brought to you after your meal in an Indian restaurant! Like coriander, it ignites the digestive fire without encouraging pitta imbalance, but the real gem of it for me is that it's safe to use in cases of inflammation in the digestive system.
You can make a tea of fennel seed, or you can just chew up a 1/4 teaspoon or so of lightly roasted seeds after your meal- that's what I do :) Here are a few medicinal qualities of fennel in addition to it's wondrous digestive uses:
- Aids in alleviating intestinal spasms
- Helps reduce bloating and symptoms of indigestion
- Reduces nausea
- Benefits the urinary system
- Helps relieve muscular spasms and cramps, including menstrual cramps
- Reduces congestion in the lungs
- Helps increase flow of breast-milk in breast-feeding mothers
- Helps to clear the mind